AUSkey Fraud Alert
The Australian Taxation office has recently detected cases of identity thieves using AUSkey via fraudulent activity statements. While the ATO has identified this problem, there are still important steps to take to ensure your business is secure.
Watch this short video by Henry Googe, discussing what you can do to ensure your business identity is safe and secure.
Here are Henry's tips for AUSkey security.
Here are some measures you can take to keep yourself safe from fraud:
- Check access manager to understand who in your business has AUSkey access and that their level of access is appropriate to their role.
- Ensure access to terminated employees has been removed.
- check the financial institution and contact details you have recorded with the ATO are correct.
- If you know you have a refund coming – just as best practise - jump on the business portal and make sure that your bank account details are correct.
While you’re at it, take the opportunity to ensure:
- That your password is strong and secure.
- Ensure all your devices have the latest security updates.
- Any old employee’s computer accounts are closed.
- Your Wi-Fi has a password that is strong and secure.
If you see suspicious activity in your accounts or would like to discuss the matter with the Australian Taxation Office, please call 1300 287 539.
If you have any other questions do not hesitate to call us on 07 3832 7544.